It has become easier for people to purchase new computers and start fresh, but it’s become much more difficult for people who have files and folders left on their old computers. While there are many ways to have these files and folders transferred, it is very tedious and time-consuming for computer owners. This task, however, has been made convenient with Windows Vista and Windows 7′s Easy Transfer. These are quick steps to follow to transfer your files conveniently. See the note at the end about Windows XP compatibility.
To use Easy Transfer:
1. Click Start
2. Type Windows Easy Transfer in the Search box and press Enter.
3. A new window will appear that gives you a summary of what files and settings would be transferred from the old computer. Click Next on the lower bottom right of the window.
4. Choose an option of how you would like to transfer these items to the new computer. These options include:
5. Choose whether you are currently using your old or new computer. Remember to run the application on both computers for the transfer to take place. If the old computer is running on Windows XP, then a manual transfer should be done. Also, it is recommended to work on the old computer first, so select This is My Old Computer. At this point, the system will now scan the old computer.
6. On the screen showing the interface, select which items to transfer or discard by selecting the file or item beside it. You may also directly select a user account on the old computer instead of selecting every folder or file.
7. Choose a password to secure the files. The transfer begins from this point and, depending on the size of the files, it may take minutes to hours to complete the process.
The PC to PC USB method is the fastest, but requires a special purchase. For most people, transferring files to an external drive will be the most convenient way. Transferring over a network works as well, but is the slowest method.
Note that Windows XP does not have Easy Transfer. It uses a different application called Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, which is only compatible with other Windows XP machines. However, you can download a version of Easy Transfer for Windows XP here, and transfer settings to any Windows Vista or Windows 7 PC using the steps above.
Receive free tips and advices how
to repair, maintain and optimize your PC
We develop products that help Repair, Optimize and Maintain your computer for you
Restore maximum efficiency and effectiveness to your PC's Windows Registry. '